Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pre-Season Power Rankings for North America LCS Spring Split 2014

With Season 4 LCS starting tomorrow I thought I'd throw my power rankings out there as I do before every split. These are just my opinions based on years of following the sport and organizations involved as well as current knowledge of the game. Feel free to discuss!




1) Cloud 9
                Unless there are drastic changes I believe that Cloud 9 just have such a high understanding of objective based play that if they can continue to improve as individual players the sky is the limit (no pun intended). The difference this time around is that the other teams won't be caught off guard. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to being "top dog." 

2) Team Solo Mid
                Dyrus is much better that people give him credit for, TheOddOne is versatile as well and Xpecial and Turtle are the best bot lane in NA. The one thing holding TSM back was Reginald. It was the elephant in the room that everybody knew about. So they went out and go Bjergsen, a premier European mid laner that is just going to open TSM up to all of the possibilities. You could make an argument for any player (except maybe OddOne) being the best at their position in NA and they now have the best mid laner in the region in my opinion. I just think you're going to see an entirely new side to TSM and while I've been a hater for a long time, the fact is that they are prime for a good run and it wouldn't surprise me if they surpass Cloud 9 at any point this season.

3) Evil Geniuses
                Contrary to what you may think, the reasoning for EGs high ranking isn't Krepo, Snoopeh, and Yellowpete but Pobelter and Innox. Both of which are incredibly talented and versatile players that have been playing at a high level and trying to get into the scene for a long time. There is a hunger and talent level combination here that just gives me this gut feeling that they'll perform well. If the Europeans can continue to perform well at what they did overseas then I think it'll result in a solid, consistent team which will help over a long regular season.

4) Team Curse
I'm a huge fan of this revamped roster. The way Voyboy plays transfers very well to mid lane, especially with the early season tower changes he'll be forced to gank and others will be forced out of lane to duel him potentially. The big question is his depth of champion pool which leads to my next point. Quas is going to be an all star. I'm going to call it right now. He's an incredibly versatile player that can play next to every champion in the game at the highest level. This depth will help offset some of the lack of depth from Cop and, potentially, Voyboy. Cop needs to maintain this level of play as well and not revert back to his old, and frankly, bad self. IWillDominate is seeking redemption and I'm excited to see how he's adapted to the "new" game.

5) Counter Logic Gaming
                The Rush Hour bot lane will do their thing and with the new meta you'll see the talents of Link really come to fruition with his ability to play a large number of high tier champs at a high level. Dexter is a nice upgrade but the main concern I have is Nientonsoh. At some point he needs to learn how to hard carry a game or become a threat instead of just being that passive farmer. If he can do that then I believe CLG will be competitive.

6) XDG Gaming
So I understand the change the moving of Xmithie to AD and Zuna to jungle more than I think most people do. Zuna is often making the calls and loves being a playmaker (sometimes a little too much). This will allow him to get around the map and do exactly that. I'm actually not concerned about that change as much as I am about moving Xmithie to the jungle. I don't know why you'd fix what isn't broke but XDG clearly noticed something that we did not. I think Zuna will be on a short leash for sure. I just don't like the change very much and think they'll come out very slow and have a tough time coming back even if they do start to "click" in the middle of the season. Mancloud is a maniac of a mid laner but he will need to display competency at the pro level on more traditional mages (which I'm confident will happen).

7) Team Coast
                Shiptur is a beast and the key to Coast's success but it will certainly help having the playmaking bot lane of WizFujin and Daydreamin. NintendudeX has been around for awhile and has always been a relatively high level jungler. The big question will be whether or not ZionSpartan can control his often tilt-y in game nature. I think the potential is here but I need to see more.

8) Team Dignitas
To me, this is the end of Dignitas as we know it. I think the lack of overall talent, combined with the potential to "burn out" is very relevant. Dignitas has struggled to keep up with all the new blood and even with their old competition (CLG and TSM). Also, from a managerial standpoint I don't understand completely removing their best player Patoy right as the support power level is higher than it might ever be. Maybe he wanted to or there is something else we don't know but on the surface it looks a little strange.I expect big roster changes and a disaster of a season for Dignitas.

             If I had to break this into a tier list is would be something like this

Tier 1: Cloud 9 and TSM
Tier 2: EG, Curse, CLG, XDG
Tier 3: Coast
Tier 4: Dignitas

ENJOY THE LCS
                

No comments:

Post a Comment